STD Testing in Sarasota, FL
Receiving a screening for a sexually transmitted disease, or STD is an important step for a sexually active person to take in order to protect themselves and their partner. In many cases, those infected with a sexually transmitted disease may not even know because they aren’t showing symptoms. If left untreated, STDs can be spread to others and may even lead to infertility.
Dr. Daniel Kaplon is a board-certified urologist who specializes in treating STDs at his urology clinic in Sarasota, FL. Learn more about the symptoms of STDs and call (941) 917-5400 to schedule your testing with Dr. Kaplon today.
When Should You Get Tested for an STD?
Getting tested for each type of STD during your annual visit is expensive and not necessary in most cases. Patients should speak with their doctor about their specific risk factors and lifestyle so that they can determine which tests are right for them.
It is recommended that you undergo an STD screening if:
- You have a new sexual partner: Everyone who is sexually active should receive an STD screening at some point, and this is especially true if you are engaged in sexual relations with a new person.
- You are having unprotected sex: Not wearing protection increases your risk. Because of this, it is recommended that you receive a screening If you’re having unprotected vaginal, anal or oral sex.
- You are engaging in high-risk behavior: If you or your partner have multiple partners, are an IV drug user or have had contact with a sex worker, it is strongly advised that you receive more frequent STD screenings.
- You are exhibiting symptoms: If you notice anything out of the ordinary, it is always best to have it examined by your physician to determine the cause.
What Are The Symptoms of an STD?
It isn’t always obvious when you have a sexually transmitted disease. Symptoms can be minor or even nonexistent in some cases. Visit the doctor if you are experiencing:
- Painful Urination
- Frequent Urination
- Pain During Intercourse
- Blisters or Sores on Genitals and/or Anus
- Itchy or Irritated Genital Area
- Unusual Discharge
- Fever/Fly-like Symptoms
How Are STDs Treated?
If results determine that you have an STD, the type of issue it is will determine how it is treated. STDs are broken down into three categories:
- Bacterial STDs: Chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis are good examples of STDs caused by bacteria. These issues can be treated with antibiotics and should go away after the antibiotic treatment is completed.
- Parasitic STDs: STDs that are caused by parasites like Trichomonas Vainalis can be cured using antibiotics, antiparasitic drugs, or prescription shampoos.
- Viral STDs: STDs caused by a virus cannot be cured completed, but they can be managed. The most common types are HPV, genital herpes, hepatitis B, and HIV.
Schedule an Appointment for STD Testing & Treatment in Sarasota, FL
Dr. Daniel Kaplon specializes in the screening and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. If you are experiencing symptoms of an STD or would like to schedule your routine testing, please call (941) 917-5400 and request an appointment at our urology clinic in Sarasota, FL.