Testosterone is an important hormone for men. It plays a role in sexual health, hair growth and emotions. A decrease in testosterone is normal as men age. However, it can affect men of every age. Below are the most common warning signs of low testosterone:
- Decreased Libido – Testosterone plays a major role in the libido of both men and women. Low testosterone often results in a diminished libido and trouble with erections.
- Depression and Mood Changes – According to a study by The University of Washington, men with low testosterone are four times more likely to have issues with depression. They can also experience drastic mood swings, irritability and have trouble focusing.
- Decrease in Bone Mass – Decreased bone mass (osteoporosis) is most often linked to women, but men with low testosterone can also experience a decrease in bone mass because the hormone plays a role in keeping bones strong.
- Decrease in Muscle Mass – Testosterone plays a vital role in the building and strengthening of muscles. Men with low testosterone often see a decrease in muscle mass and an increase in body fat.
- Hair Loss – Testosterone levels impact a variety of body functions, including hair production. Men with low testosterone often go bald or have trouble growing facial hair.
- Shrinking Testicles – Low testosterone can cause the testicles to shrink and become smaller.
- Decrease in Amount of Sperm – When your testosterone levels decrease, you might also notice a decrease in the amount of ejaculate.
How Can I Boost Testosterone Levels?
There are simple ways to boost testosterone. Consult with Dr. Daniel Kaplon for treatment options.